Thursday, 13 October 2011

Oh, How Time Flies!

Wow, how quickly did that month go by? Everything has just seemed to have escalated since school started again and I haven’t even had time to think about what I could write all over this pretty page.

But now I’ve made time, just for you. I hope you appreciate it
Winking smile
So, tonight I’m going to be presenting a presentation (hah!) on how me and my team earned our Queens Scout Award, exciting stuff eh? We’ve been working towards it for a good few years (unknowingly for me this means ever since I started Scouts in the first place!). What makes this award even sweeter is the fact that this is the highest award you can achieve in youth scouting. Get in!

For this award, each of us had to complete 12 months worth of a skill and physical activity, and show improvement throughout. For me, this was playing piano and tai chi.

Also for an amount of time that I can’t remember but was still a very long time, we had to do an act of service. For most of the members in my group this was volunteering to help our younger scouts. As well as this we needed to complete what has always been referred to as a ‘Residential’. In saying this, I am showing that I actually have no idea what this bit of it’s called. All I know is that the training towards various events that we have took part in in the past – like the Jamboree, Tall Ships Race and trip to Uganda – counted towards it. Mainly because we had to work together with unfamiliar people over a series of weekends.

The last requirement that we had to complete was a whopping four day, three night hike that spanned about 40 miles. It was quite hard, but oh so worth the effort. The feeling of relief at the end was absolutely amazing! Over the four days we walked from Melrose Abbey to Lindisfarne and it was quite good at the end when we were slowly cut off from the rest of Great Britain.

So that’s really all that we’re covering tonight. But tonight I’m not just writing in the safety of my own bedroom, I’ve got to talk in front of quite important Scout Leaders who probably already know most of this anyways.
At least there’ll be nibbles going around..

No comments:

Post a Comment