Tuesday, 23 August 2011

HELP! How to Become Slightly Happier and Get a Bit More Done - By Oliver Burkeman

I’ve only recently finished this book, and let me tell you, it’s well good! Open-mouthed smile

Help[1]
This book is composed of many different articles on the different aspects of so-called ‘pop’ psychology and Burkeman references a range of different sources within these. Ranging from books to blogs, this gives his writing a good sense of depth, due to both these references and his opinion of them.

His style of writing was very amusing, and I believe he took a good, objective, common sense view to many of the theories displayed. However, the only problem with this being that I am not as well read as he is, so I can’t form my own opinion on the topics he’s talking about. The book is good, also, at directing the reader at other sources of information, because of the vast amount of research referenced in it. I have about 4 pages of notes on books or articles that I might find interesting because of this! Smile

Another good thing about this book is that it’s not a book that’s promising a better life because you’ve read it. It’s not saying, ‘This is how I can change your life in 7 days!!’, It’s saying, ‘This is what this person thinks would change you’re life in 7 days, but I’ve tried it, and it doesn’t work’. This gave the book a real down-to-earth feel, without becoming totally pessimistic.
The range of topics he covers, I feel, is also a very good thing as he wasn’t repeating the same information over and over again, which normally ends up in making me feel a bit bored. He covered a topic, then moved onto the next one, and this I found kept my attention for longer.
So for any of you out there who wants a good informative read, have a try of this one.
And you might learn something new Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment